Lincoln Vein Clinic

Modern vein treatment

Home Conditions Investigations Treatments About

About Us | Mobile site | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | ©2014


What varicose veins are suitable?

Varicose veins arising from the groin,the great saphenous system, and behind the knee, short saphenous veins are suitable for treatment with Clarivein.

How is the procedure performed?

The leg will be cleaned using an antiseptic solution and the leg covered in disposable fabric drapes. A small amount of local anaesthetic is injected and then a special catheter is inserted via a needle into the vein to be treated. The catheter is passed up the leg to the groin and its position checked using an ultrasound machine. The Clarivein® catheter is then activated while it is pulled back down the length of the vein to be treated. The motorised handle rotates the catheter tip

during pullback, creating vessel spasm to block forward flow and concentrate the targeted infusion of liquid sclerosant. The body heals by permanently scarring the length of the vein. After a further injection of local anaesthetic, any marked varicose veins may be removed through tiny incisions using a small hook. The stab incisions are closed with paper steristrips and covered with a dressing. A compression stocking is then applied to the leg with a bandage over the top.

What are the advantages of this treatment?

Recovery time is faster than traditional surgery because the vein is not stripped. You can expect to be back to work in days rather than weeks.

It is cheaper then traditional surgery because it does not require a general anaesthetic.

What are the potential complications?

The main potential complication appears to be discolouration over the treated vein.

What are the alternative treatments?

These include no treatment, compression stockings, surgical stripping, radiofrequency ablation, and foam sclerotherapy. As part of your consultation all treatment modalities will be discussed, allowing you to choose the most appropriate treatment.

How do I arrange a consultation?

You will need a referral from your general practitioner.